Thursday, January 10, 2013

Patterning and Silhouettes



I'm trying to learn more about creating patterns.. and I'd like to introduce more patterning into my illustrations. After creating the floral pattern and the one with the snakes and the birds, I started exploring silhouettes and ended up drawing all these fish (plus one narwhal). I may go back and color these in Photoshop and add some texture, but I'm not promising anything.  These are all done with brush pen on copy paper.

Things I learned:
1. I like to draw loopy things, like snakes, squid tentacles and eels.  This also explains my love of drawing hair and chinese dragons.
2. Narwhals, puffers, and cuttlefish are all super cute.
3. My goal this year: to draw things for fun.  I have been falling into the trap of "Is this good? Is this good?" and worrying about my illustrations so much that I sometimes lose sight of why I am doing this.  God knows I'm not in it for the money.  So, even though a pattern of snakes terrifying birds may be a bit odd, I enjoyed drawing it, and you know, I'm a bit odd anyway.

3 comments:

Lorraine LeBer Rocha said...

I love your style!

Liz Wong said...

Thank you!

Arianne said...

I like everything about this post!